HOW CAN YOU HELP RAISE AWARENESS AND ACT TO STOP THE NUCLEAR BUILD PROGRAMME?
You are not alone. Many civic organisations including the unions, social, faith and environmental groups are taking action to oppose new nukes – but so far the government does not appear to be listening. We all need to grow the circle of awareness and action.
1. Join the civil-society march in support of court action: On Wednesday, 22 February 2017 from 9 am [gathering corner Plein and Roeland Streets, outside Parliament gates], our public actions will culminate in an inclusive, broad-based civil society march in support of the court action by SAFCEI and Earthlife Africa Jhb to overturn the secret nuclear deal for a cleaner energy future for South Africa.
2. Add your voice on Twitter or Facebook – Voice your concerns on your social media using #NuclearFreeSA #NukesMustFall #NukeVigil #EnergyJusticeForAll or #StopSecretNukeDeal
3. Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/StopSecretNukeDeal/
4. Donate money to SAFCEI & EarthLife Africa JHB to help cover legal costs
5. Organise a fundraiser – Host a fun movie night, talk, party, tombola or games night with your community to help raise funds and raise awareness about this cause. Create your own fundraising page on GivenGain or deposit funds directly into SAFCEI’s account.
6. Engage with what is being reported on nuclear by writing a letter to your local newspaper (or even the national newspapers), or share your concerns on any other medium and send through to firstname.lastname@example.org so that we can also share it.
7. Address your concerns or those of your organisation to the people in power below and copy your letter to the media:
- Write to President Zuma at email@example.com and Ms T Joemat-Pettersson, Minister of Energy via her secretary Maczali@energy.gov.za . Ask for their mandates both from the South African public and in terms of our Constitution, the IRP and both the National Energy and Energy Regulation Act to make deals for nuclear procurement. Appeal to both President Zuma and Ms T Joemat-Pettersson to stop the nuclear deals and to choose a renewable energy route which has immediate and broad based energy benefits.
- Write to Mr Pravin Gordhan, Minister of Finance via his PA at firstname.lastname@example.org. Appeal to Mr Gordhan to use his influence to stop the nuclear deals until an independent affordability assessment has been completed – and to request that all the costs are made public.
- Write to Mr Thembani Bukula, National Energy Regulator at Bukula@nersa.org.za. Appeal to Mr Bukula to use his influence to stop the nuclear deals until an independent assessment of the implications for electricity tariffs has been completed – and to request that all the costs are made public.
- Write to Adv Busisiwe Joyce Mkhwebane, Public Protector at email@example.com for her to investigate whether the nuclear build decision-making process is consistent with the constitutional values of transparency, fairness, efficiency and does not compromise the health of people or the environment.
8. Join a SAFCEI anti-nuclear vigil or start your own. The vigils are held every Wednesday morning from 7:30 – 9:00 outside Parliament in Cape Town.
9. Digital #NukeVigil Write a supporting message on a piece of paper and send us a photo of yourself with your message to add to our Digital #NukeVigil. Post it on Facebook or Twitter using #NukeVigil
10. Get a conversation going with your friends, family and colleagues and spread the word as far and wide as possible